Monday, July 29, 2013

Keep Your Head Up, Keep Your Heart Strong

I was going to wait until tomorrow to blog about this but I couldn’t wait. I just have to share this experience with you all because I consider it to be a crime to not share an amazing talent such as Ben Howard. I just came home from his concert and I have to tell you...it was magical. I’ve been to a lot of concerts this year alone and the last time I got major chills was from watching Ed Sheeran live and that was 7 months ago. While I did get chills when I watched The Xx in Berkeley last month, it wasn’t the same kind of chills I got when I watched Ed and Bon Iver, which is ironic because I find Ben Howard to be the perfect combination of Ed Sheeran and Bon Iver.


Ben Howard is one of those unappreciated and underrated artists that truly deserve more attention. His music is unlike anything we hear in the airwaves nowadays, which is sad because more people should really hear the songs he sings and writes about. You can tell they come from the heart and that they actually mean something. Just listen to Only Love and tell me if you wouldn’t want to be serenaded with the simplicity and effortless vocals of the song? The song Only Love proves that love songs (or even just songs in general) need not be complicated. When sang the right way, it’s enough to make us all starry-eyed and weak in the knees. As I say this, I am not bashing any songs out there right now (ok, maybe I am bashing some...). I love hiphop and I am obsessed with Jay Z’s newest album. However, sometimes when I need a break from all the aggression that hiphop brings, I listen to artists like Ben Howard and I feel relaxed all of a sudden.


Because his voice is exactly the type of voice that can soothe your soul, the Summerstage in Central Park provided the perfect venue to let him do just that. As the sun began to set and the breeze settled in, the concert felt like the perfect lullaby. From beginning to end, he never failed to captivate his audience. Everyone in the crowd was clinging to his every word and when he ended his set with Promise...well  I think that was just the end of everyone. While he didn’t play two of my favorites like Depth Over Distance and Gracious, I still thoroughly enjoyed the concert. It’s amazing how much better he sounds live. Much like when I watched Ed Sheeran and Bon Iver, there were times wherein I couldn’t help but close my eyes and just feel.  


In the end, I am so glad I decided to watch him live. Not to sound redundant but he is simply spectacular and I would definitely recommend watching him live. If you’re not ready to shell out cash and watch him live, at least listen to his songs on YouTube or watch videos of his live performances there. You’ll be happy that you did.


P.S. I tried uploading the videos I took from the concert but it won't let me so I'm just going to put my favorite performances of his from other places.

P.P.S. No one better use Only Love as their wedding song before I do. 


Depth Over Distance:
Promise:

No comments:

Post a Comment